Thursday, July 9, 2009

Warren Buffet....just only the second RICHEST man in the world....










LBN-HISTORICAL COMMENTARY
By WARREN BUFFET:
I don't have a problem with guilt about money.
The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society.
It's like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption.
If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life.
And the GNP would go up.
But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing.
I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks.
There's nothing material I want very much.
And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die.
(1997)

LBN-COMMENTARY By CHRISTIE HEFNER
(Former Chairman & CEO, Playboy Enterprises Director, The Center for American Progress and TV commentator):









My favorite magazine is "The Economist."

Though I love magazines, and so picking just one is hard.
But, forced to choose, that's my pick because they've found the perfect balance:
between breadth and depth, reportage and analysis, business and public policy.
I don't always agree with them, but I learn from each issue;
and I greatly appreciate feeling connected to a larger view than just what's happening in the U.S.
And, I love that in a world in which news magazines, never mind newspapers, are struggling mightily,
"The Economist" is posting significant growth in circulation and ad revenues simply by publishing an extremely well-written, thoughtful, adult weekly magazine.

LBN-HOLLYWOOD INSIDER:
***Another "Saturday Night Live" skit is about to hit the big screen.
Relativity is preparing an August start on "MacGruber," based on the "SNL" sketch about an inept spy.
Will Forte will make the feature leap with Kristen Wiig as his hapless sidekick.
Val Kilmer and Ryan Phillippe are in negotiations to join the cast.
***ICM has established a lecture division and hired Betsy Berg to run it out of the agency's Gotham HQ.
Berg, who begins immediately, spent 18 years at WMA and ran that agency's lecture division until the merger with Endeavor.



She brings a roster of speakers that includes Joy Behar, Richard Branson, Quincy Jones, Lily Tomlin, Ty Pennington, Bill Nye, Jane Pauley, Chris Gardner, Maria Bartiromo, Julie Andrews, Harry Belafonte, Cynthia Nixon and Jesse Jackson.

***Longtime HBO favorite Robin Williams, who first appeared on the network more than three decades ago,

will return to HBO this December for a unique stand-up event from Washington, D.C.,

marking his first solo special on the network in seven years.

LBN-BOOK NEWS:

***J. Randy Taraborrelli's long out-of-print biography on Michael Jackson, to be republished as

MICHAEL JACKSON: THE MAGIC, THE MADNESS, THE WHOLE STORY, 1958-2009,

"fully updated throughout to reflect Taraborrelli's extensive continuous research since the original publication in 1990,"

sold to Jamie Raab at Grand Central, for hardcover publication in July 2009,

by Mitch Douglas at Mitch Douglas Literary and Theatrical (US).

LBN-MEDIA INSIDER:

***Alex Ben Block, entertainment industry journalist, show business historian and former editor of The Hollywood Reporter, has been named contributing editor at THR.

In his new role, he will report to editor Elizabeth Guider, providing news features and analysis.

He also will continue to pen occasional special reports for the Features department under executive editor Stephen Galloway.

LBN-COMMENTARY

BY SHARON WAXMAN (The editor-in-chief of TheWrap.com, a site covering the entertainment industry):


In death, Michael Jackson is suddenly some kind of a saint

A humanitarian.

A philanthropist.

A civil rights leader.

"Like our father Martin," said Martin Luther King III before a live television audience of millions around the world at the memorial.

"He was indeed a shining light.

What a difference two weeks and sudden death can make.

While still alive, Michael Jackson was widely considered a weirdo.

A presumed child molester.

A pills-and-plastic surgery addict.

For more than a decade, he'd been relentlessly mocked by the tabloids.

He was Wacko Jacko.

He certainly seemed like something other than normal.

Now that he's gone, he's become someone who was "persecuted," as Bernice King said.

"An American legend," said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, giving a snappy salute toward his coffin.

LBN-COMMENTARY By LARRY PAGE

(Co-Founder and President of Google):

In graduate school at Stanford University, I had about ten different ideas of things I wanted to do, and one of them was to look at the link structure of the web.

My advisor, Terry Winograd, picked that one out and said,
"Well, that one seems like a really good idea."
So I give him credit for that.

LBN-QUOTE:







A woman is like a teabag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is.
--Nancy Reagan.

No comments: