Monday, June 2, 2008

KIM CATTRALL & SEX IN THE CITY


The timeless appeal of Sex and the City



By Pamela Newlands



HOLLYWOOD, CA (Hollywood Today) 5/29/08


– “I didn’t think I could play this vamp in her forties,” says Kim Cattrall who personfied Carrie Bradshaw’s outrageously sexual friend Samantha.



“I didn’t think I was up to it. Now I think, how ridiculous!”



“It was about women joining together as the new family, girlfriends sticking together through thick and thin,” says Cattrall.



“Those relationships are what made the show so popular.



The first day I expected a group of fans or onlookers or some press.



But when I came to the set, and stepped out of the car in the morning, I felt like I was at a premiere.”




“The first day I had butterflies, it was all the fans,” says Cattrall.



“But, at the same time I thought, wow, you know, I also turned fifty in the downtime.



I thought I had reservations at forty, but at fifty…”




When Sex and the City first aired on television in 1998, Cattrall became the role model of the sexually empowered woman.



From her roles in ‘Porky’s’, ‘Police Academy’ and ‘Mannequin’, the television series producers had envisioned Cattrall as Samantha early on but then in her forties, Cattrall was comfortable playing moms and wives.



Now she’s back, and the role model of the sexually empowered 51-year-old woman. Cattrall is sexier than ever.




After an award-winning six seasons on HBO, ‘Sex and The City’ reruns remained on the air in syndication for four years.



Now these single ‘Sex and The City’ thirty and forty-something’s have grown up.



The film picks up where the series left off, with the adventurous Cattrall puzzled to be in a monogamous relationship in Los Angeles.



Her girlfriends are getting married and having babies,” says Cattrall.



“There’s that feeling of being left behind, and not just distance-wise.”




“These four women, I have always believed, make up one complete woman,” says Cattrall.



“You can wake up in the morning and be Carrie, have an afternoon like Charlotte, an early evening like Miranda and hopefully, a very late evening like Samantha!



She has an insatiable appetite for fun and is infectious to be around.



Most people in life are picking at the appetizers but she’s going for the main course and dessert as well.”




“I play Samantha who is a flame that is burning bright,” says Cattrall.



“She loves life and laughter.



I’ve had such a great time playing her for seven years and then reprising her for ‘Sex and The City’, the movie.”




Cattrall has her own production company: Fertile Ground Productions.



Cattrall co-executive produced and hosted the feature-length HBO documentary ‘Sexual Intelligence’, based on her book of the same name.



Cattrall also wrote ‘Being a Girl: Navigating the Up’s and Down’s of Teenage life’.




‘Sex and the City’Running Time:


2 hrs. 25 min.Release Date: May 30th, 2008 (USA)



Rating: R for strong sexual content, graphic nudity and language.



Distributor: New Line Cinema

No comments: